Clinical profile of celphos poisoning in central India

Abhishek Singhai, Deepak Parmar, Subodh Banzal, Rajesh Kumar Jha

Abstract


Background: Celphos poisoning (trade name of aluminium phosphide) is a large, though under-reported, problem in the Indian subcontinent. 

Methods: The study was conducted at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of a tertiary care teaching hospital of central India. Data were collected by a retrospective chart review of all patients admitted from February 2010 to February 2014 with a diagnosis of celphos poisoning.

Results: Fifty patients (32 females, 18 males) were registered from the 967 patients of poisoning admitted to the ICU during the same period, of whom 44 (88%) had died (non-survivors) and the remaining 6 (12%) had survived. Forty five cases were of suicidal poisoning, and 5 were of accidental poisoning. Majority [42/50 (84%)] were from rural background. The ingested dose was 7.23 ± 1.28 gram among non-survivors and 3.3 ± 1.9 gram among survivors.

Conclusion: Strict implementation of nationwide pesticide regulation, including restricting the availability of poison, being aware of its toxicity and providing improved medical management in consultation with regional or national poison control centers could further reduce the mortality due to ALP toxicity as there is no antidote available presently.

Keywords


Celphos, Poisoning, Mortality

Full Text:

PDF

References


Chugh SN. Incidence & outcome of aluminium phosphide poisoning in a hospital study. Indian J Med Res. 1991;94:232-5.

Singh S, Singh D, Wig N, Jit I, Sharma BK. Aluminium phosphide ingestion: a clinico-pathologic study. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 1996;34(6):703-6.

Mathai Ashu, Bhanu Madhurita Singh. Acute aluminium phosphide poisoning: can we predict mortality? Indian J Anesth. 2010;54(4):302-7.

Wahab A, Zaheer MS, Wahab S, Khan RA. Acute aluminium phosphide poisoning: an update. Hong Kong J Emerg Medicine: 2008;15:152-5.

Siwach SB, Gupta A. The profile of acute poisonings in Harayana-Rohtak Study. J Assoc Physicians India. 1995;43(11):756-9.

Gupta S, Ahlawat SK. Aluminium phosphide poisoning: a review. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 1995;33:19-24.

Mehrpour O, Alfred S, Shadnia S, Keyler DE, Soltaninejad K, Chalaki N, et al. Hyperglycemia in acute aluminium phosphide poisoning as a potential prognostic factor. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2008;27:591-5.

Chugh SN, Chugh K, Ram S, Malhotra KC. Electrocardiographic abnormalities in aluminium phosphide poisoning with special reference to its incidence, pathogenesis, mortality and histopathology. J Indian Med Assoc. 1991;89:32-5.

Moghadamnia AA, Abdollahi M. An epidemiological study of poisoning in northern Islamic of Iran. East Mediter Health J. 2002;8:88-94.

Karla GS, Anand IS, Jit I, Bushnurmath B, Wahi PL. Aluminium phosphide poisoning hemodynamic observations. Indian Heart J. 1991;43:175-8.

Singh D, Dewan I, Pandey AN, Tiagy S. Spectrum of unnatural fatalities in the Chandigarh zone of northwest India: a 25-year autopsy study from a tertiary care hospital. J Clin Forensic Med. 2003;10:145-52.